Thursday, August 10, 2006

Erik and My Sunny Island

Oh my gawd I'm so damn tired la. Rushing from SMU's Freshmen Teambuilding Camp to the NDP celebrations(live) really sucked all the vitality from me. And apparently, 12 hours of sleep hasn't make me feel any better yet. And I'm still feeling ill. With a sprained shoulder as well.

Well, it was quite an experience for me as a participant at the Freshmen Teambuilding Camp(FTC). Certainly, the camp was a bit different from what I had expected despite the numerous advice dished out by some of the facilitators of other camps.

My group's name was Erik.

There was a lot of planning and thinking involved in most of the activities. Some activities were quite difficult and I must say my group did well for most of the activities. Good planning and excellent execution helped a lot. Really must thank guys like Matthew and Chris who did most of the planning and coordination. And the girls as well. They were really sporting! The first time I've ever seen so enthu girls. Haha.

Lodging was ok but bathing was absolutely CRAP. The toilet was flooded almost everyday. And I mean higher-than-ankle kind of flooding. Not exactly clean after bathing but well, this was a camp afterall.

Campfire was great IMO. Had a great time relaxing there, unlike the other times when we had to rushed from one game station to another. Every section had to put on a skit and I was one of those involved. Really happy to see people laugh when they saw the skit because it was the whole purpose anyway.

Had some great time introducing some lame games to my group as well. Lots of laughter when some realised the solutions to the games. Looking back, I feel that my group could have played more games because it is thru these games that make groups bond together. Maybe I should have taken the initative to start the games. Sigh.

But anyway, I had a great time at the camp all thanks to my group.

to Matthew, WeiXun, Winston, Hing Man(Ah Man!), Hui Wen(Ah Girl!), Jake, Eileen, Chris, Alex, Tanu, Sijie and of course our nice faci, Farhan


You all rocked big time!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So I rushed off to NDP after the camp. Actually I left earlier than the rest. Kinda sad I didn't get a proper chance to say goodbye to them. Ya know, the 'something's missing' feeling. But we'll meet at convocation anyway.

I initally didn't want to go to NDP because I thought I would be tired after the camp. But thinking that it was the last time it would ever to held at the National Stadium, I decided to be part of that history.

As usual, the queue into the stadium was long and hot. Took like ages to get into the arena but once in there, you could feel the atmosphere. Everyone was dressed in red and were singing and cheering out loud. It was almost like the scenes of Koreans at the 2002 World Cup. Feeling like a patriot, I joined in the fun too, clapping and cheering with the rest of my fellow Singaporeans.

There were the usual events like the parachutes, the GOH, the march-past, the F-16s fly-past, performances by various organisations. I found most of the events boring, elements of the past but the fireworks more than made up for the rest of the parade. The fly-past by the Apache helicopters was also impressive, us being the first SEA country to have Apaches in our arsenal. When the national anthemn was being played, it was amazing to hear Singaporeans sing aloud with pride and dignity. I, of course, was one of those who sang out loud too.

So it was quite a memorable NDP for me, and a great bonding time for my family as well. And bcause it was the last time the NDP was going to be held at the national stadium, all the more memorable.

Singapore you rock!

Majulah Singapura!

*This entry is more than 24 hrs late because Geng was having a hard time thinking of what to write. There are, still some sand left in his brain after the FTC and it's affecting his cognitive abilities.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home